|St. Helena Island , MI|
Description: The Saint Helena Lighthouse commenced operation in 1873 to mark the northwestern approach to the Straits of Mackinac. The lighthouse was automated in 1922, and without the presence of a resident caretaker, the lighthouse gradually fell into disrepair. In 1986, the Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepers Association (GLLKA) obtained a thirty-year lease on the station, and three years later set about the restoration of the structures on the island. During every summer since 1989, GLKKA, with the help of numerous Boy Scouts, has worked on restoring the lighthouse to its former glory.
Located on Saint Helena Island, roughly 7 miles west of the northern end of the
Mackinac Bridge. The lighthouse is owned by Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepera (GLLKA). Grounds/dwelling/tower open on GLLKA tours.
The lighthouse is owned by Great Lakes Lighthouse Keepera (GLLKA). Grounds/dwelling/tower open on GLLKA tours.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.