|Charlevoix South Pier, MI|
Description: The first lighthouse to be built at the entrance to the Pine River was actually located at the end of the north pier. This pyramidal wooden tower served from 1885 to 1914, when it was transferred to the end of the south pier. The current steel tower was placed on the south pier in 1948, after several decades of service had taken its toll on the wooden tower.
In 2005, the Charlevoix South Pier Lighthouse, deemed excess by the Coast Guard, was offered at no cost to eligible entities, including federal, state, and local agencies, non-profit corporations, and educational organizations under the provisions of the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act of 2000. After the review process, the National Park Service awarded the lighthouse to the City of Charlevoix in 2008.
In March of 2009, Charlevoix Historical Society was awarded $29,666 for work on the Charlevoix South Pier Lighthouse from the Michigan Lighthouse Assistance Program, which is administered by the State Historic Preservation Office and funded by proceeds from the sale of Michigan's "Save our Lights" license plate. Evidence of this work was clearly apparent in August of 2009, as the lighthouse, which had been painted white since in recent decades, was painted bright red. The pierhead lighthouse had been painted red from the time of the construction of first tower up until 1968.
Located on the southern pierhead marking the entrance to Round Lake from
Lake Michigan. The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, Terry W. Phipps, used by permission.