|Frankfort North Breakwater, MI|
Description: The first light to mark the passageway between Lake Betsie and Lake Michigan was placed at the end of one of the two parallel piers that were completed between the lakes in 1873. A frame pyramidal tower was placed on the south pier in 1873, and a similar tower was built next to it in 1892 to house a fog signal. In 1912, the iron tower, which lights the harbor today, was erected at the end of the north pier, replacing the south pier light.
A pair of breakwaters were constructed at Frankfort in the early 1930s, and the iron tower was relocated to the end of the northern breakwater in 1932, where it was placed atop a two-story metal base.
A Notice of Availability, dated June 28, 2010, announced that Frankfort North Breakwater Lighthouse was excess to the needs of the United States Coast Guard and would be “made available at no cost to eligible entities defined as Federal agencies, state and local agencies, non-profit corporations, educational agencies, or community development organizations for educational, park, recreational, cultural or historic preservation purposes.” Qualifying organizations were given sixty days to submit a letter of interest. The property will be sold if it is not transferred to a public body or non-profit organization.
In 2011, it was announced that ownership of the lighthouse would be transferred to the city of Frankfort.
Located in Frankfort at the end of the north breakwater. The lighthouse is owned by the City of Frankfort. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the City of Frankfort. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.