|Traverse Cap-Santé Range, PQ|
Description: Cap-Santé is a town situated on the northern bank of the St. Lawrence River, just west of the mouth of the Jacques-Cartier River. Legend has it that the village’s name, Cape Health in English, is a result of the miraculous cure discovered there for soldiers suffering from an unknown disease.
Starting in 1943, the lights that had been originally known as Portneuf River Range were listed in the annual List of Lights as Cap Santé Traverse, since they guided mariners along the river off Cap-Santé.
At some point between 1955 and 1971, a circular steel tower replaced the original wooden front range tower, and a skeleton tower took the place of the pole from which the rear range light was displayed. Similar towers are in use today.
Located in Portneuf, on either side of the Portneuf River. The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Michael Boucher, used by permission.