|Ange-Gardien Range, PQ|
Description: In 1884, Parliament made an appropriation for the establishment of ranges lights to mark Orleans Channel, the channel on the north side of Île de Orleans, and that same year work began on three sets of range lights: one on the mainland near Ange-Gardien, and two on Île de Orleans at Sainte-Famille and Sainte-Pierre. Messrs. Nesbit and Auger, of Quebec, carried out the contract for the lights for $936, and the three ranges were placed in operation in 1885.
By 1917, when the following description of the Ange Gardien Range Lights appeared in the U.S Hydrographic Office’s The Gulf and River St. Lawrence, the rear light at Ange Gardien Range was also being displayed from an enclosed tower:
A square white lighthouse, with a red roof, 23 feet high, on the beach between l’Ange Gardien village and Montmorency Falls, on the mainland, northwestern shore, exhibits, at 20 feet above high water, a fixed white light that should be seen, in clear weather, a distance of 9 miles.
Ambroise Trudelle and Joseph Huot were hired as the first keepers of the Ange Gardien Range Lights, and each earned an annual salary of seventy dollars.
The lights of Ange Gardien Range were changed from fixed white to fixed green in 1951 or 1952, and at this time the original towers were still in use. By 1994, forty-four-foot-tall, square, skeletal towers had been erected for exhibiting the range lights, and similar structures remain in use today. The characteristic of the lights remains fixed green.
Located on either side of QC-138 between Montmorency Falls and L’Ange-Gardien. The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Michael Boucher, used by permission.