|Île Deslauriers Range, PQ|
Description: Île Deslauriers, part of the Varennes Archipelago in the St. Lawrence River, lies just east of Montréal and directly north of the town of Varennes. The island is now considered an Important Bird Area as it is home to a large Ring-billed Gull colony that makes up roughly five percent of the global Ring-billed Gull population
Two range light towers, known as Île Deslauriers Range, were placed in operation on May 1, 1902. The following description of the range lights was published by the Department of Marine:
The front light, erected on the east shore of Ile Deslauriers, is fixed white catoptric, elevated 37 feet above the summer level of the river, visible eleven miles from all points of approach in the channel, and is shown from a square wooden tower with sloping sides, surmounted by a square wooden lantern, standing upon a cribwork pier. The pier and tower are white and the lantern roof red. The height of the tower from the pier to the ventilator on the lantern is 19 feet.
The lights of Île Deslauriers Range shine upstream and indicate the axis of the channel from Verchères Point to Cap St. Michel Curve.
In 1907, a new four-section, skeletal, tower, purchased from the Goold, Shapley & Muir Company of Brantford, Ontario for $668.5 replaced the original three-section tower that housed the rear light for Île Deslauriers Range. This new tower stood eighty-two feet tall, from base to vane, and increased the focal plane of the rear light from seventy-three to eighty-nine feet. To enhance its visibility during the day, the square, pyramidal tower was outfitted with white, wooden, slatwork installed beneath the enclosed watchroom and lantern room on the side of the tower facing the range line. Day’s labour erected the new tower at a cost of $704.76, and the old tower was taken down to be used elsewhere.
The front range light was carried away by ice in 1926 necessitating the erection of a replacement tower set atop a square, concrete pier. The new tower was described as having an aluminum-colored, square watchroom with a red roof, and it exhibited a fixed white light at a focal plane of forty-feet, three feet higher than its predecessor.
At some point between 1955 and 1994, a twenty-nine-foot-tall, white, circular tower was installed to exhibit the front range light, but this was replaced in 1997 by a skeletal tower. Île Delauriers Range remains active today with skeletal towers used for displaying both the front and rear range light.
Located on Île Deslauriers and the northern end of Île Ste. Therese. The lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
The lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Michael Boucher, used by permission.