Description: Tétreaultville, also known as Mercier-Est, is a Montreal neighbourhood located near the eastern end of the Island of Montreal and is one of three districts in the Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve borough. In 1911, the Department of Marine purchased a four-section, steel, skeletal tower from the Goold, Shapley, & Muir Company of Brantford, Ontario to house the rear light of a new range to be established at Tétreaultville. The following description of the range was published to alert mariners of its establishment:
The Canadian Government has given notice that fixed white catoptric range lights, visible 4 miles in the line of range, have been established at Tetreauville, below Longue Pointe, St. Lawrence River, to mark the axis of the ship channel from Ile aux Vaches Traverse to Longue Pointe Curve.The towers were erected by day’s labour under the direction of P. Beauchemin at an expense of $1,176, while the sites were purchased for $1,400. Antoine David was hired as the first keeper of the range lights.
By 1971, a circular metal tower had taken the place of the original wooden tower used to display the front light, and at some point between 1971 and 1994, a circular metal tower took the place of the original four-section skeletal tower used to display the rear light.
Tétreauville Range remains active today, displaying fixed green lights downstream at a height of forty-eight feet above the river for the front light and ninety-nine feet for the rear light.
Keepers: Antoine David (1911 – 1918), G. Perrault (1918 – 1919), L. Tardy (1918 – at least 1923).
The front tower is located in the southeast corner of Parc Pierre-Tétreault in Montreal's Mercier-Hochelaga-Maisonneuve nieghbourhood, and the rear tower is located 630 metres to the southwest. The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, towers closed.
The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, towers closed.
Pictures on this page copyright _, used by permission.