|Cape Negro Island, NS|
A minor revolving light was recently erected on Negro Island, at the entrance of Negro harbour, County of Shelburne. It shews red and white flashes alternately every minute, and should be seen at a distance of 12 miles. It has one circular burner lamp to each of two faces, with 20-inch reflectors to each lamp, and was first exhibited on the 6th September, 1872. Mr. James McKinnon was appointed keeper at a salary of $100 per annum.
The lighthouse was found in such an advanced state of decay in 1886 that repairs were deemed impossible and plans for a new lighthouse were prepared. A $975 tender to build the tower from a Mr. DeChamp was accepted, and work began on the island in 1886. The new lighthouse, a forty-four-foot-tall, wooden, octagonal tower, was connected to the east end of the keeper’s dwelling, and the revolving apparatus from the old one was used in its lantern room.
Keepers: James McKinnon (1872 – 1897), Byron Nickerson (1897 – 1916), Freeland Perry (1916 – 1943), Harry Perry (1943 –1963), Radford Malone (1964), Carmen Cook (1965).
Located on southeast tip of Cape Negro Island. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Alix d'Entremont, Glenn Coltman, used by permission.