|William Livingstone Memorial, MI|
Description: Born in Dundas, Ontario on January 21, 1844 to Scottish parents, William Livingstone moved to Detroit as an infant and graduated from city schools in 1862. Soon after graduating, Livingstone began his multifaceted career, which would see him rise to prominence in banking, publishing, and Great Lakes transportation. After serving as an apprentice machinist in Detroit’s railroad shops, Livingstone started a shipping business with his father in 1865. Livingstone purchased the Detroit Evening Journal in 1885, and in April 1900, he became president of Dime Savings Bank, a position he held until October 17, 1925, when he died in his office at the bank building.
From 1902 until his death in 1925, Livingstone served as president of the Lake Carriers’ Association. In this role, he was instrumental in persuading the Federal Government to construct the 1,350-foot Davis and Sabin locks at Sault Ste. Marie, to deepen and straighten channels in the St. Mary’s River and across Lake St. Clair, and to build an independent waterway for downbound vessels in the lower Detroit River. Work on this last work, which was named the Livingstone Channel to honor the president of the Lake Carriers' Association, began in 1908 and opened to commerce on October 19, 1912, with the freighter William Livingstone leading the procession.
As a tribute to William Livingstone, a memorial lighthouse was built at the east end of Belle Isle Park on land donated by the City of Detroit and with funds provided by the Lake Carriers' Association and citizens of Detroit. The following description of the lighthouse, which commenced operation on April 8, 1930, was provided by the Lighthouse Service:
The lighthouse is in the form of a fluted shaft of white marble, 47 feet high, rising from an octagonal platform of the same material, flanked by wide steps on all sides. The shaft is about 11 feet in diameter at the base, tapering to about 8 feet at the top, where it is surmounted by a bronze lantern of irregular octagonal shape. There is a heavy bronze door at the base, and handsome bronze inscriptions have been placed to indicate the purpose of the memorial. A circular interior staircase, of the usual lighthouse construction provides access to the lantern.
The lighthouse has always seemed to me to be symbolic of two primary ideals, reliability and service, and that this permanent memorial has appropriately taken this shape well signifies the extent to which the life of Mr. Livingstone fulfilled these ideals.
Charles Warren, speaking in behalf of the private donors, remarked that there was no other waterway in the world traversed by more ships than the Detroit River. “More ships and more tonnage pass Detroit each year,” he said, “that through either the Suez or Panama canals.”
The memorial lighthouse, which was designed by Albert Kahn and built of Georgia marble at at cost of $100,000, was not the first lighthouse built on Belle Isle. After Congress appropriated $10,000, a lighthouse was built on Belle Isle in 1881 and placed in operation for the first time on the night of May 15, 1882. The original Belle Isle Lighthouse consisted of a square, redbrick tower with an attached, two-story brick dwelling and was equipped with a fourth-order Fresnel lens that displayed a fixed red light from the southeast point of the island. The lighthouse was no longer needed after its light was relocated to the brick lookout tower of the adjoining Lake St. Clair Coast Guard Station, and it was eventually torn down. The Coast Guard station is still active on Belle Isle, not far from the memorial lighthouse.
Vandals broke into William Livingstone Memorial Lighthouse in July 1980 and stole two of its four, ninety-pound lenses from the lantern room. Two iron bars were placed across the lighthouse's door to deter further vandalism, but in January 1981, the lighthouse was broken into again and graffiti was spray-painted on a temporary plastic lens being used atop the lighthouse.
Today, William Livingstone Memorial Lighthouse alternately sends out a white and red flash, separated by ten seconds, and continues to remind visitors of the accomplishments of William Livingstone, one of the Detroit's most prominent and public-spirited citizens.
Belle Isle Keepers: Anson Badger (1882 – 1886), Louis Fetes (1886 – 1907), George Sherman (1907 – 1908), Louis Fetes (1908 – 1912).
Located at the eastern tip of Belle Isle Island. The lighthouse is owned by the City of Detroit. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the City of Detroit. Grounds open, tower closed.
Notes from a friend:Kraig writes:
According to an informational sign at Beaver Island Lighthouse, a fourth-order Fresnel lens on display there was reportedly used for fifty years at William Livingston Lighthouse.
See our List of Lighthouses in Michigan
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, Marilyn Stiborek, used by permission.