The early lightkeepers at Fort Point lived in a dwelling attached to the light tower, but in 1940 a separate house was built. This structure remains standing today, and after the creation of the Lunenburg County Historical Society in 1969, it was converted into the Fort Point Museum.
In 1990, a small square pyramidal tower, similar in design to many throughout Nova Scotia, was built in memory of the 1875 La Have Lighthouse. As Fort Point Museum grew, a larger facility was needed, and a more substantial lighthouse, based loosely on the original La Have Lighthouse, was added.
In 1632, Isaac de Razilly landed on the point of land at the entrance to the LaHave River and established Fort Sainte-Marie-de-Grāce. One year later, the settlement of LaHave was a thriving trading post. LaHave served as the capital of Acadia from 1632 until the sudden death of Razilly in 1636, when the capital was transferred back to Port Royal. The fort at LaHave was destroyed by fire in 1654, and little evidence of it remains.
Keepers: William Palmer (1876 - 1878), W. Howard Palmer (1878 - 1935), H. Richards (1935 - 1941), Dawson Wilkie (1941), Effie Mae Wilkie (1941 - ).