|Great Duck Island, ON|
Description: Keeper R. J. Leeson and his assistant Raymond Hughson closed Great Duck Lightstation for the season on December 12, 1949, and set out for the mainland in their small powerboat with a dinghy in tow. While passing Middle Duck Island, the boat's propeller shaft broke, causing the craft to drift helplessly onto the rocks at Middle Duck Island. After wading ashore, the men made a makeshift shelter out of the bedding they had with them and subsisted on the few provisions they had for three days, when the seas calmed sufficiently to permit them to row to Great Duck Island in the dinghy.
When no report of the men returning to the mainland was received, a seaplane was chartered from Georgian Bay Airways on the seventeenth by the District Agent and a search was initiated. Flying low over the islands, the men aboard the plane spotted the lighthouse boat on the rocks at Middle Duck but could see no signs of life. At Great Duck, they noted tracks in the snow and after buzzing the station the two keepers emerged from the dwelling. The plane landed near Outer Duck Harbour and took the men and as much of their baggage on board as possible. The station's boat was salvaged the next day.
Located on the southwest point of Great Duck Island. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright JACLAY, used by permission.