|Mousseau Range, PQ|
Description: A string of islands, with narrow winding channels separating the various islands, lies in the middle of the St. Lawrence River between Saint-Sulpice on the north shore and Verchères on the south shore. Île Bouchard is the largest island in the chain, and others include Île Ronde, Île Dansereau, Île Marie, and Île Beauregard.
In 1913, range lights were erected on the northeast shore of Île Bouchard at a cost of $1,858.56, and just before the range was activated at the opening of navigation in 1914, the following description of the lights was published in a Notice to Mariners:
The range lights served to guide vessels between Contrecoeur Traverse Range, located just downstream, and Bouchard Peninsula Range, located just upstream on Île Ronde. Mousseau Range, Bouchard Peninsula Range, St. Sulpice Traverse Range, St. Sulpice Course Range, and Ile Lebel Range were all activated in 1914 to guide mariners along the Repentigny Channel that ran on the north side of the river between Lavaltrie and Repentigny. A different series of range lights served to guide mariners along the channel south of the string of islands located between Saint-Sulpice and Verchères.
At some point after 1959, the range towers were either modified or replaced with new ones that have enclosed lantern rooms. Mousseau Range Lights were deactivated in 1996.
Keepers: J.B. Giguère (1914 – at least 1937).
Located on the northern end of Île Bouchard. The range lights are abandoned. Grounds open, tower closed.
The range lights are abandoned. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright JACLAY, Kraig Anderson, used by permission.