|Bécancour Range, PQ|
Description: Just east of Trois-Rivières, Bécancour River empties into the much larger St. Lawrence River. In October 1904, range lights were established at this place by attaching a lantern to Becancour day beacon, located about 4/5 mile above the mouth of Bécancour River, and displaying a lantern on a sixty-five-foot-tall pole erected 1,920 feet southwest of the day beacon. These makeshift range lights served for just a few months before being replaced in 1905 by permanent lights of the following description:
Range lighthouses were erected on the south side of the River St. Lawrence, near Becancour, to mark the axis of the ship channel, which has been enlarged to 30 feet deep and 450 feet wide, from the lower end of Ile Bigot through Becancour course to Becancour bend; and the old pole lights and beacon which marked the axis of this channel before it was widened, were removed.
Omar Gingras was hired as the first keeper of the front range light at an annual salary of $150, while A. Tourigny was paid $100 a year to maintain the rear light.
At some point between 1955 and 1994, the characteristic of the range lights was changed from fixed white to fixed green. The present rear tower, a fifty-five-foot-tall, square, skeletal tower, was erected around 2009. The front tower today displays both a fixed green light along the line of range and a fixed green light that is visible from all points of approach. Both towers are equipped with an orange daymark featuring a black vertical stripe.
Located on the southern shore of the St. Lawrence River, just west of the mouth of Rivière Bécancour. The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, towers closed.
The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, towers closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.