|Nicolet Sector, PQ|
Description: The Nicolet River, named for the French fur trader Jean Nicolet, who drowned when his boat capsized on the St. Lawrence River during a storm, empties into the St. Lawrence River at the eastern end of Lake Saint-Peter.
In 1906, the Department of Marine erected a set of range lights near the mouth of Nicolet River to guide mariners along Nicolet Traverse. A concrete pier, which was forty-two feet square at its base, twenty-five feet square at its top, and had a height of thirty feet, was built just offshore for the front light tower and keeper’s dwelling, while foundations for the skeletal rear tower were built on the mainland with a height of seven feet to protect the structure from ice floes in the spring of the year. The work on the two piers was done by day’s labour and cost $28,336.90 through June 30, 1906.
The Department of Marine published the following description of Nicolet Range Lights in 1907:
The front lighthouse stands on a permanent concrete pier, on the flat on the east side of the mouth of Nicolet river. It is a square wooden building, surmounted by a hexagonal wooden lantern, the whole painted white. The building is 19 feet high from its base to the top of the ventilator on the lantern, and the pier is 30 feet high, square in plan, with battered sides. The light is a fixed white catoptric light, elevated 45 feet above the summer level of the river, and visible 4 miles in the line of range.Didier Heroux was hired as the first keep of the front range light at an annual salary of $150, while Edmond Heroux was paid $100 a year to look after the rear light.
In 1938, the front pier’s nineteen-foot-tall wooden lighthouse with a hexagonal lantern was replaced by a hexagonal iron lantern that reduced the lights focal plane from forty-five to twenty-three feet. The rear tower remained the same.
In 1970, Nicolet Sector, which showed a green light along a bearing of 353° and a white light between 353° and 173°, was established on the front range pier, and the range’s rear light was discontinued. Around this time, a set of range lights, known today as Traverse de Nicolet Range, was established on the shore just east of Nicolet Sector. Here is a picture of the current Traverse de Nicolet Range Front Light and a picture of the current Traverse de Nicolet Range Rear Light.
Located on an islet in the St. Lawrence River at the east end of the Lake Saint-Peter basin north of Nicolet. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.