|Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel Range, PQ|
Description: The St. Lawrence River broadens in a few areas along its course to form lakes. Just upstream from Montreal are found Lake Saint-Louis and Lake Saint-Francis, and just downstream from Sorel-Tracy is Lake Saint-Peter. In the western end of Lake Saint-Peter, just offshore from Sorel-Tracy, is found a collection of 103 islands known as the Archipelago of Saint-Peter.
In 1906 and 1907, multiple sets of range lights were established to guide mariners through the archipelago, including Gallia Bay, Île des Barques, Île du Moine, Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel, Île de Grâce, and Île Dupas. A concrete pier, measuring twenty-seven feet square at its base and tapering to fifteen feet square at its top, which was fourteen feet high, was built at Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel in 1905 to support the front range tower. The Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel Range Lights were placed in operation on August 22, 1906 to mark the thirty-foot-deep and 450-foot-wide ship channel through Île de Grâce traverse, from the west end of Île des barques to the curve below Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel.
The following description of Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel Range was published shortly after the lights were established:
The front lighthouse, a square white building surmounted by a square red lantern, all 19 feet high, stands on a concrete pier, on the southern shore of the St. Lawrence, about 2 ¼ miles below Sorel, and exhibits, at 35 feet above high water, a fixed white light, visible, in the line of range 2 miles.
Frs. Lanicault was hired as the first keeper of the front range light at an annual salary of $100, while Pierre Counoyer received the same amount for tending the rear light.
By 2011, the original rear tower had been replaced by an eighty-three-foot-tall, tripod, skeletal tower that displays a fixed green light along the range line. The front tower is now equipped with two lights: a fixed green light in its lantern room that shines along the range line and a fixed green light mounted atop the tower that is visible 360°.
Located in Sainte-Anne-de-Sorel, just northeast of Sorel-Tracy. The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
The range lights are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/towers closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, JACLAY, used by permission.