|Cardigan River, PE|
Description: Situated on a peninsula bounded on the north by the Cardigan River and on the south by the Brudenell River that is joined by the Montague River, the town of Georgetown is also known as Three Rivers. To help guide vessels into the Cardigan River, the largest of the three rivers, a lighthouse was established on a point just upstream from the ferry wharf and below Morrison's Beach.
The Cardigan River Lighthouse is a square, wooden, white tower standing 9.8 metres (32 feet) tall and originally exhibited a fixed light at a focal plane of 13.1 metres (43 feet) above high water. The light, which was first exhibited on September 1, 1883, appeared green seaward and white to the northeast. When vessels coming from the south saw the green light turn to white, they knew they could safely anchor in Cardigan Bay.
Angus Morrison was the first keeper of the lighthouse and earned an annual salary of $100. John D. Morrison was appointed keeper on August 15, 1901.
In 1926, the Cardigan River Lighthouse started serving as a rear range light when a beacon was installed atop a mast on the ferry wharf to serve as its companion front range light. These range lights served until 1967, when the rear light was converted to a directional light, and the front light was discontinued. John D. Morrison, Jr. served as the final keeper of the light until August 1965, at which time the light was automated, and his role was changed to that of a caretaker. This change in responsibility saw his annual salary go from $550 to just $60.
Fearing that the youngsters using the decommissioned Cardigan River Lighthouse as a party place might accidentally set it afire, Paul and Rosemary Batchilder purchased the tower in the 1980s from Crown Assets and then moved it roughly 305 metres (1000 feet) from its former home on the point to its current location. The tower was placed on skids and a bulldozer was used to tow it along the shore. Things were progressing well until the bulldozer veered into the muck and a second bulldozer had to be brought in to extract the first one.
As a child, Rosemary Batchilder used to accompany Joyce Fogarty, a niece of Keeper John Morrison, to the tower and watch him light the kerosene lamp. In 2009, the Batchilders gifted the tower to one of their daughters, who plans to convert it into a cottage for personal use.
Keepers: Angus Morrison (1883 – 1901), John D. Morrison (1901 – 1935), Philip Morrison (1936 – 1940), John D. Morrison, Jr. (1940 – 1965).
Located on the the southern shore of the Cardigan River, near Georgetown. The lighthouse is owned by Four Season Cottages. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by Four Season Cottages. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.