|Courtenay Bay Breakwater, NB|
Description: Work on the Courtenay Bay Breakwater was started sometime in the early twentieth century, and a 2,500-foot extension was completed in 1919. In 1927, an unwatched, white light was established at the outer end of the breakwater to show the entrance to Courtenay Bay. A year later, the light was moved 150 feet shoreward, and re-erected on the centre light of the breakwater.
The battery at the end of Courtenay Bay Breakwater was constructed during World War II to resemble, but not function as, a lighthouse. Rather, the guns at the battery were to engage any motor torpedo boats which might have been launched from a larger enemy vessel and to provide covering fire for a limited number of landing sites.
The battery was decommissioned after World War II and mostly dismantled in 1946. Today, a flashing red light is exhibited from the top of the battery's white, hexagonal tower.
Located near the outer end of the Courtenay Bay Breakwater. The lighthouses is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouses is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Wilfried Kalinowski, used by permission.