Around 1860, Wrayton purchased Stoddart Island and relocated his family there. The island was subsequently known as Wrayton Isle, but Wrayton himself preferred to call it Emerald Isle after his homeland.
In 1875, Wrayton was going to display a light for mariners from the window of his home, but instead the government provided an old lantern that was placed atop an inexpensive wooden tower. Wrayton tended the light for two years without remuneration, but was finally provided an annual salary of $100 starting on May 7, 187, as mariners extolled the usefulness of his light.
In 1886, the present rather squat tower was erected and the material from the old tower was used to construct an oil house. Though locally known as the Emerald Isle Light, the lighthouse is officially listed as the Stoddart Island Light.
Ephraim Larkin was appointed keeper of Stoddart Island Lighthouse on March 18, 1896 and continued in this role for over twenty-three years. Larkinís granddaughter, Evelyn Richardson, was born on the island and married her husband, Morrill Richardson there. The Richardsons lived in the lighthouse on Bon Portage Island, which Morrill kept, for thirty-five years. In 1945, Evelyn published the book We Kept a Light, which details her familyís life on Bon Portage Island and her childhood memories on Emerald Isle.
Stoddart Island Lighthouse was apparently discontinued in 2008, as its lantern room is now empty and it was absent from the 2009 List of Lights, Buoys, and Fog Signals, published by the Canadian Coast Guard.