|Whitehead Island, NS|
Description: The Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for 1874 contains the following information on the establishment of a lighthouse on Whitehead Island.
Argyle Lighthouse has been erected during the present year on the south point of Whitehead Island, at the entrance to Argyle Harbour, in the County of Yarmouth.
In 1951, the original Whitehead Lighthouse was struck by lightning and burned to the ground, and the present lighthouse was apparently built as a replacement shortly thereafter. Keeper Douglas Gallagher died of injuries received from an explosion at the station in March 1964. He was fifty-four at the time of the accident.
When the station’s final keepers, Douglas Gallagher and Reg Smith, were removed from the island in June 1986, they left behind the square tower with attached one-story building, a square two-story dwelling, a keeper’s bungalow, and a storage shed. Arnold D’Eon purchased the bungalow, put it on a barge, and towed it up to Pubnico Harbour. All the other remaining structures on the island, besides the lighthouse, were torn down.
Located on the southwest point of Whitehead Island at the mouth of Argyle Bay. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Alix d'Entremont, used by permission.