A fog whistle was established on the cape in 1869 and was sounded for ten seconds in every minute during foggy weather and snowstorms. From June 30th 1873 to June 30th 1874, the whistle was in operation for 1,336 hours, requiring the burning of seventy-eight tons of coal and seven cords of wood.
The original illuminating apparatus for the Cape Forchu Lighthouse was described in 1874 as ten “lamps and 12-inch reflectors, arranged in two rows, four being stationary, looking seaward, and six being placed on a revolving frame. The flash up the harbour is produced by the six lamps, and the flash seaward by the whole ten. When the revolving arm comes around, and the six lamps are just over the four fixed, a screen which is carried round by the revolving apparatus is removed, and the ten lamps give a power flash to seaward.”
After 123 years of service, the old Cape Forchu Lighthouse was showing its age and needed to be replaced. Yarmouth tourist officials received assurance from the Coast Guard that the new tower would look similar to the original so the seaside vista, so familiar to residents and tourists, would remain practically unchanged. When the present “apple core” tower started to take shape on the cape in 1961 beside the historic tower, quite a few people were alarmed at the marked difference between the two. It took a while for the controversy to die down, but the new tower, which is painted in vertical red and white stripes like its predecessor, has managed to win over the hearts of most people. The Fresnel lens that had been used in the original tower until it was deactivated in 1962 is now on display at the Yarmouth County Museum.
Cape Forchu was the last remaining staffed lighthouse in Nova Scotia, when its final keepers left in 1993. The dwellings, however, didn’t remain vacant for long as the property was leased to the Yarmouth County Tourist Association in 1995 and a group of concerned citizens formed Friends of the Yarmouth Light Society, which opened the 1912 keeper’s duplex to the public in 1996. Thanks to the persistence of Craig Harding and Gert Sweeney, President and Vice-President of the Friends of Yarmouth Light Society respectively, in 2000 Cape Forchu Lighthouse became the first lighthouse to be turned over to a municipality by the Canadian Coast Guard.
For many years, a museum and tea room were located in the 1912 keeper’s duplex near the tower, and a gift shop was housed in the nearby keeper’s bungalow, built in the 1970s, but a decline in visitors, due partly to the loss of the Maine to Yarmouth ferry service, forced the Friends of Yarmouth Light to make some changes. Starting in 2013, the gift shop was moved to the keeper's duplex, and the food offerings were cut back.