|Cape St. Mary (Cape St. Mary's), NS|
Description: The first Cape St. Mary Lighthouse was a wooden, octagonal tower with a height of 13.1 meters that served as both a coast light and also as a guide into St. Mary’s Bay for vessels bound for Grand Passage and Petit Passage. In 1868, the year the lighthouse was built, U. Doucette was paid $226 for “land and making a road,” DeChezeau & Co. was given $191.90 for supplies, and the first keeper Mathurin Robichau was paid $31.78 for building a fence.
Formerly a sea captain, Mathurin Robichau developed a keen interest in politics and in 1855 was elected as Clare's representative to the Legislative Assembly, where he lent his weight to confederation. Just a year after helping to make Canada a reality, Robichau left politics and became the first keeper at Cape. St. Mary. Benjamin, one of seven Robichau children, started to help his father at a young age and eventually took over his position. Together, father and son spanned sixty-two years of keeping the light at Cape St. Mary.
The original illuminating apparatus was described as “catoptric lights with parabolic reflectors and argand burners,” that revolved to produce a white and red flash every thirty seconds. A diaphone fog signal, projecting from one end of a gabled-roof building, was later added at Cape St. Mary.
The present lighthouse, a square tower built into one corner of a one-story building, was built in 1969 and produces a light with a signature of one white flash every five seconds. The lighthouse was de-staffed on March 31, 1989, when it became fully automated. Between 1868 and 1988, twelve lightkeepers served at Cape St. Mary including one woman, Mary Goodwin.
During migratory bird season, the lighthouse is a great vantage point from which to view the mud flats below, which are a favorite stopping point for the birds. The steep cliffs below the light have many caves formerly used by rumrunners as hideouts.
Located on St. Mary's Bay, southwest of Mavillette. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.