The original Black Rock Lighthouse, built in 1848, was the square wooden building shown in the 1933 picture at left that served as both a light tower and keeper's home. The light was exhibited from a three-sided bow window on the shoreward side of the building's pyramidal roof. John Crotty served as the first keeper from 1848 until his retirement at the age of eighty in 1872, when James Robinson was made keeper.
The current light, which replaced the original lighthouse in 1967, is a white cylindrical fiberglass tower 10.4 meters tall with two red horizontal bands and a flashing white light. The daymark is opposite that used on the tower at Mitchener Point.
- Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries, various years.
- Lighthouses & Lights of Nova Scotia, E.H. Rip Irwin, 2003.