A lighthouse was erected on Winchester Point, western side of entrance to Bear River, south side of Annapolis Basin, and was put into operation on May 1, 1905.William Hunt was appointed the first keeper of the Bear River Lighthouse on April 10, 1905 at an annual salary of $150.
The building stands on ground 45 feet above high water mark and 100 feet back from the water's edge. It is a wooden tower square in plan, with sloping sides, surmounted by a square wooden lantern, the whole painted white. It is 32 feet high from its base to the ventilator on the lantern.
The light is a fixed red dioptric light, of the seventh order, elevated 72 feet above high water mark, and visible 9 miles from all points of approach by water.
This work was done by contract by John Roney, of Granville Ferry N.S., the contract price being $494.
When built, the lighthouse was situated in an open area, but it is now surrounded by dense woods. A great view of the light can be had for those traveling west on Highway 101. As you approach a bridge and an abandoned railroad trestle, the light sits on the right, high above the Bear River.
On December 14, 2009, the Digby Town Council voted in favor of acquiring the Bear River Lighthouse, while having the Bear River Lighthouse Society, formed in 2002 to care for the structure, still manage the property. Ownership of the lighthouse could be handed over to the municipality from Transportation Canada as early as spring 2010.