|Schafner Point, NS|
Description: The following entry is extracted from the Annual Report of the Department of Marine, for 1885, the year the Schafner Point Lighthouse was built.
A new lighthouse has been erected on Shafner's Point, on the north side of the Annapolis River, in the County of Annapolis, and was put in operation on the 24th September. The work was done by Mr. John Wagstaff, of Annapolis, under contract, for the sum of $900. The light is fixed white, elevated 55 feet above high water, and should be visible 11 miles. The building is a square wooden tower, painted white, and surmounted by an iron lantern, painted red, and measures 43 feet from base to vane. The illuminating apparatus consists of a small size dioptric lens. The light is intended for the guidance of vessels navigating the Annapolis River, and especially to indicated the position of Goat Island Shoals.
J. K. Healy served as the first keeper of the lighthouse.
The lighthouse is just past the Port Royal National Historic park, a reconstruction of the first permanent white settlement in Canada, and sits between the road and the shoreline.
Located just west of Port Royal on the north side of the Annapolis Basin. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.