|Musquodoboit Harbour (Range Front), NS|
Description: The front and rear Musquodoboit Harbour Range Lights were built in 1904. The rear light, also known as the French Point Lighthouse, was placed on a knoll and built in the traditional pepper shaker design. After the front light was built on offshore Shag Ledge, it was discovered the lights didn't range properly. The solution was to raise the rear light using a straight sided 3.7-meter extension thus making it the only light of this configuration in Nova Scotia. The lights were automated in 1951, and extensive repairs were made on the front light in 1972.
The original keepers were Jeremiah Kent for the front light and John Kent for the rear light. Lightkeeping duties remained in the Kent family until 2002.
The front light is a white square wooden tower 3.7 meters high with sloping sides. The rear is a white tower 11 meters high with sloping sides and a straight base. Both were marked with a red vertical stripe. Both lights have fallen into disrepair and the red stripe is no longer visible on the rear light. The rear light is adjacent to what was a bed and breakfast owned by the Kent family. As of August 2009, this property has changed to private ownership and permission should be asked of the owner as parking is on their property.
Located atop a pier on Shag Head at the entrance to Musquodoboit Harbour along Nova Scotia's Marine Drive. Grounds open, tower closed.
Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Rich Schoeller, Kraig Anderson, used by permission.