|Mitchener Point, NS|
Description: A contract for $2,050 was awarded to Lawrence Mury of Arichat West in January of 1908 to construct a lighthouse tower on the marshes south of Mitchener Point. The following description of the tower was provided in the Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for 1909.
It is a wooden tower, square in plan, with sloping sides, surmounted by a square wooden lantern, the whole painted white. It stands on a square cribwork foundation, and is 49 feet high from base to top of ventilator on lantern. The illuminating apparatus is fixed white dioptric, of the sixth-order.
The first keeper of the light was William A. Curry, appointed on June 15, 1908 at an annual salary of $180. The keeper was responsible not only for the main light in the lantern but also for a fixed red light that was displayed from a window on the southern face of the tower to indicate to vessels bound down the St. Croix River the exact turning point at the junction of the St. Croix and Avon Rivers.
The current Mitchener Point Lighthouse, a 23.5-meter-tall, fiberglass tower painted red with two white horizontal bands, replaced the original tower in 1972. The light was deactivated in 2001 and is surrounded by private property.
Located south of Hantsport on the west bank of the Avon River along the Evangeline Trail. The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Rich Schoeller, Kraig Anderson, used by permission.