|Heart's Content, NF|
Description: Heartís Content is located on the eastern side of Trinity Bay, about halfway up the Bay de Verde Peninsula. Its urn-shaped harbour, defined by Norther Point and Souther Point, is well protected and was part of the reason why in 1871 Lovellís Newfoundland Directory described it as ďthe most important [fishing] station on the south side of Trinity Bay.Ē Many of its residents were employed in shipbuilding, and aboard ships produced there in the pursuit of fish and seal in Labrador.
The little harbor in Newfoundland that bears the gentle name of Heartís Content, is a sheltered nook where ships may ride at anchor, safe from the storms of the ocean. It is but an inlet from that great arm of the sea known as Trinity Bay, which is sixty or seventy miles long, and twenty miles broad. On the beach is a small village of some sixty houses, most of which are the humble dwellings of those hardy men who vex the Northern seas with their fisheries. The place was never heard of outside of Newfoundland till 1864, when Mr. Field, sailing up Trinity Bay in the surveying steamer Margaretta Stevenson, Captain Orlebar, R. N., in search of a place for the landing of the ocean cable, fixed upon this secluded spot. Heartís Content was chosen Ö because its waters are still and deep, so that a cable skirting the north side of the banks of Newfoundland, can be brought in deep water almost till it touches the shore. All around the land rises to pine-crested heights; and here the telegraphic fleet, after its memorable voyage, lay in quiet, under the shadow of the encircling hills.
The population of Heartís Content doubled in the half century following the arrival of the telegraph cable, but today the population has fallen back to its 1860s level of roughly six hundred.
Lighthouse Inspector John T. Nevill noted that in 1893 surveys for lighthouse sites on the south side of Trinity Bay had been made, resulting in Heartís Content being selected as a suitable site. A road was built from the harbour to the Southern Head and a cast-iron tower, fabricated at the Victoria Works in St. Johnís, had been landed at Heartís Content, ready for erection in the spring of 1894.
Work on setting up the tower commenced in 1894, but had not proceeded far when it was stopped by executive order, and the tower and materials were transferred to Motion Island, off Random Head. The cylindrical tower and accompanying dwelling were completed on Motion Island in 1894, but Random Head Lighthouse was not lit until the following year, due to the delay in obtaining the optical apparatus.
Heartís Content did eventually receive a lighthouse, but not until 1901, when a circular iron tower, painted red and white spirally, was erected on Norther Point. A small dwelling was originally connected to the southern side of the tower by a covered passage way. The dwelling and passageway were painted white and had black roofs. The tower displayed a fixed red light at a focal plane of 25.5 metres. Barzillia Budden served as the first keeper of the light.
The towerís light source was changed to electricity in 1931, and after that time a caretaker was contracted to look after the light.
The lighthouse was designated a Recognized Federal Heritage Building in 1990.
Keepers: Barzillia Budden (1901 - 1905), Robert Piercey (1906 - at least 1912), John Warren.
Located on a point marking the east side of the entrance to the harbour at Heart's Content. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Notes from a friend:Kraig writes:
While in Heart's Content be sure and stop at the Telegraph Station Museum, where you can learn about the following historical event:
See our List of Lighthouses in Newfoundland Canada
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, Wilfried Kalinowski, used by permission.