|Pointe Sapin Range Rear, NB|
Description: Pointe Sapin was originally known as Point-aux-Sapins, presumably due to the presence of fir (sapin) trees. Attracted by rich fisheries and fertile soil, settlers arrived in Pointe Sapin in 1860. The surnames of these pioneers included Daigle and Robichaud, names which are carved into a good share of the tombstones in the local cemetery.
The 1903 Annual Report of the Depart of Marine records the establishment of a light at Pointe Sapin to aid its fishermen.
A pole light, established in the settlement of Sapin point, at the north extremity of Kouchibouguac bay, was put in operation on May 28, 1903, and will hereafter be maintained whenever fishing operations are being conducted in the neighbourhood.
Fishermen were notified that they could run for the light between the bearings of 248° and 338°. Remaining within this arc of ninety degrees would keep them clear of the southern end of Sapin Ledge and a reef south of the light.
In 1910, the pole light was replaced by a twenty-seven-foot-tall lighthouse, built under contract by James Legoof of Richibucto for $440. This new light was also fixed white but produced by a sixth-order lens. The following year, a breakwater wharf was constructed at Pointe Sapin to provide shelter for fishing boats.
The lighthouse currently displays a fixed yellow and is paired with a square, skeleton tower to form range lights that indicate the proper approach to the harbour. Red stripes on the two towers also indicate the range line.
Keepers: Victor F. Daigle (1903 – 1912), Daniel L. Daigle (1912 – 1959).
Located alongside Route 117 in Pointe Sapin. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.