|Fanjoys Point, NB|
Charles Macpherson constructed wooden towers, each of which measured sixteen feet from base to the vane on the lantern room, at Fanjoys Point and Robertson Point, and the lights were placed into operation on October 1, 1873. It wasnt uncommon for landowners to have points named after them or for landowners to be placed in charge of lighthouses built on their land, and such was the case for the lights on Grand Lake, as John Robertson and William Fanjoy were appointed keepers of the two lake lights established in 1873. (Note that early spellings of the names were Robertson's Point and Fanjoy's Point, which more clearly captured the fact that the points were named after people.)
In 1895, Keeper Charles Mott cleaned up the land around the lighthouse and cut down trees that were obscuring the light. Fanjoys Point Light was improved in 1905 when a seventh-order lens and lamp were substituted for the reflectors and lamps previously in use.
The original tower at Fanjoys Point was replaced with a modern beacon in 1971.
Keepers: William Fanjoy (1873 1888), Vincent Wiggins (1888 1892), Charles H. Mott (1892 1897), William Fanjoy (1897 1912), W. C. Kennedy (1912 1920), E.F. Dyer (1921 at least 1923).
Located at the end of Fanjoy Point Road, on the eastern shore of Grand Lake near Waterborough. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kelly Anne Loughery, used by permission.