|Belyeas Point, NB|
Description: Many points along the Saint John River and its tributaries are named after the early owners of the land, and as lighthouses were built on these points, it was only natural that the landowners, in many cases the only residents living within miles of the site, were made the first keepers of the lights. This happened at Belyeas Point and at McColgan Point, Robertson Point, Cox Point, Fanjoys Point, Bridges Point, and Palmer’s Point.
Belyeas Point is situated at the southern end of Long Reach, a wide, straight stretch of the Saint John River that runs along the west side of the Kingston Peninsula. In 1881, Parliament appropriated $800 for the erection of a light at Belyeas Point, tenders were called for, and a $395 contract for the construction of the tower was awarded to Saunders Clark of Carleton.
The light is fixed white with an illuminating dioptric apparatus of the 6th order; is elevated 40 feet above water mark and should be visible 11 miles from all points of approach. The tower, which stands upon a small timber crib, is a square wooden building painted white, and 36 feet high from the pier to the vane on the lantern. The lighthouse is situated on the extreme point near the water's edge, on the west side of the river, and the light is for the purpose of guiding vessels clear of Purdy's Shoal on the opposite side of the river, and for the general purposes of navigation.
A decade after the lighthouse was built, the Annual Report noted that the inside and outside of the tower were painted from top to bottom, the block and tower were in good order, and the interior was clean and well kept.
As seen in a photograph to the left, Belyeas Point is prone to flooding. Severe flooding damaged the original lighthouse in the 1930s, leading to the tower being rebuilt and relocated from its original position lower on the shore. Even resting atop pylons on more elevated terrain, the new Belyeas Point Lighthouse has been damaged by the spring freshet several times over the years.
Keepers: Spafford Barker Belyea (1882 – 1899), Westfield A. Day (1899 – 1906), Mrs. Westfield A. Day (1906 – at least 1923).
Located on the west side of the Saint John River at the lower end of the Long Reach, about 3 km (2 miles) north of Westfield. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.