Bayswater Lighthouse was deactivated in 2005. Besides the tower, Bayswater also has an interesting covered bridge, dating from 1920, that spans nearby Milkish Creek.
In 2010 a local community group was given a two-year lease on the lighthouse with the assumption that it would be turned over to them at the end of the contract. They quickly erected scaffolding and painted the tower, and then landscaped the area in 2011.
The group began the process of obtaining the tower in 2012 under the Heritage Lighthouse Protection Act and paid roughly $500 a year to insure the lighthouse. In October 2016, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) Canada removed the shingles from the lighthouse and discovered some of the beams in the structure had rotted through. The DFO felt that removing the lighthouse was the only option it had but will preserve the lantern and foundation in case the community decides to rebuild the lighthouse.
Description/Height of tower above ground
Erected in 1913.
White four-sided, tapered, “salt shaker” tower, with red lantern. 8.2 m. (26.9')
Keepers: F. E. Currie (1913 – at least 1923).