The wooden McColgan Point Lighthouse was constructed in 1913 by B.R. Palmer under a $700 contract to guide vessels along the narrow channel that runs between Kennebecasis Island and the Kingston Peninsula. The square tower with sloping sides was originally equipped with a sixth-order dioptric lens, and Samuel McColgan served as the first keeper of the light. Built at the same time as nearby Bayswater Lighthouse, McColgan Point Lighthouse and Bayswater Lighthouse were the last two official lights established along the St. John River.
A good view of the lighthouse can be had from the Kennebecasis Island Ferry.
Information on McColgan Point Lighthouse
|| Light Characteristics
|| Focal Height
|| Nominal Range
|| Description/Height of tower above ground
| Erected in 1913.
|| White flash 2 seconds; eclipse 10 seconds.
|| 11.3 m.
|| 6 M
|| White four-sided, tapered, “salt shaker” tower, with red lantern. 8.2 m. (26.9')
Keepers: Samuel McColgan (1913 – at least 1923).
- Annual Report of the Department of Marine, various years.