|Shoal Island, ON|
Description: The original Shoal Island Lighthouse was built in 1881 and destroyed by fire around 1909, which led to the construction of the current structure.
Two members of the Canadian Coast Guard were having lunch in Richards Landing one day, when they noticed in a local publication, the Island Clippings, that the St. Joseph Island Historical Society would be meeting that afternoon. The pair decided to attend and informed the group that in order to save maintenance costs "the powers that be" were considering tearing down the Shoal Island Lighthouse and replacing it with a metal tower.
Inspired by this news, the historical society immediately contacted the St. Joseph Township Council, who in turn informed the Coast Guard in November of 2007 that the township would be willing to accept title to the lighthouse provided any needed repairs were first made. The dialogue between the council and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans continued for some time, but no final decision regarding the future of the lighthouse was reached.
In November of 2008 the township council received notice from Public Works and Government Services that the Shoal Island Lighthouse had been declared surplus to Federal Government requirements and was being prepared for disposal. Though the disposal agency is aware of the desire of the St. Joseph Township Council to assume control of the property, a certain pecking order must be followed. Federal departments and agencies will be approached first along with the Province of Ontario, which will consider aboriginal title to the property. The township has certainly demonstrated interest in preserving the lighthouse and, being locally based, would make ideal custodians for the historic structure.
Located on Shoal Island, near the northwest end of Joseph Island. The lighthouses are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Ground/tower closed.
The lighthouses are owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Ground/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.