|Saugeen River Range Front, ON|
Description: A light at the entrance to the Saugeen River was established in 1883 in the form of a lantern affixed to a pole on a pier. A formal lighthouse was established at the end of the northern pier in 1903. This square pyramidal tower paired with a similar tower located a few hundred meters up the river served as a range light to help guide mariners safely into the river. Both towers have a vertical red stripe on their seaward faces that mariners can line up in the daytime.
The rear tower was the center of a town controversy in 1989, when unannounced the Coast Guard initiated work on its plan to strip the wooden shingles from the tower and replace them with strips of aluminum siding. Not wanting to lose the historic nature of the tower, local citizens held an around-the-clock protective vigil for three days until the Coast Guard abandoned their plan.
Located on a pier on the north side of the entrance to the Saugeen River in Southampton. The lighthouse is owned by the Town of Saugeen Shores. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Town of Saugeen Shores. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.