Description: The first Parrsboro Lighthouse, an octagonal wooden tower with an attached dwelling, was built in 1852 at the end of the sand spit near the entrance to the harbour at Parrsboro. James R. Howard served as the first keeper.
A separate structure, measuring forty by sixteen feet, was located next to the dwelling and served as and oil room and stable. On November 23 and 24, 1873 a violent storm washed away roughly one hundred feet of protective work around the station. Due to its exposed location, the lighthouse was routinely threatened by storms.
John H. Newcomb was appointed keeper in July 1874, following the death of Keeper William Armstrong.
The original tower eventually succumb to erosion around 1945 and was replaced by a beacon atop a skeletal tower until the present lighthouse, a square tower rising from the corner of a one-story building, was constructed in 1980. Ronald A. Wood kept the light from 1963 until it was unmanned in 1987.
Located at the end of a breakwater, on the western side of the entrance to Parrsboro Harbour. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.