|Trenton Range Front, NS|
Description: Trenton’s Motto, Strike while the Iron is Hot, is one of the last surviving indicators of the town’s long involvement in the steel and iron industries. The first steel in Canada was produced at Trenton in 1883 by the Nova Scotia Forge Company. Through the years, iron and steel have been forged at Trenton to produce ships anchors, railway cars and axles, cargo ships, artillery, bolts, and rivets. Trenton Works Ltd. was shut down in 2007, but its forging operation, which was spun off earlier, was still operating as of 2009 in Trenton as Nova Forge Corporation.
The Trenton Range Lights were first established in 1920 as unwatched pole lights to guide ships up the East River at Trenton toward New Glasgow. The original front range light was fueled by acetylene gas, while its companion rear range light was electric.
The present wooden pyramidal structure that serves as the front range light was erected in 1962 and served in conjunction with a steel square tower operating as the rear light. The pair of lights originally bore diamond-shaped daymarks, but these were changed to vertical red stripes in 1986.
The adjacent power plant burns 3.5 million tons of coal each year and produces enough electricity to power nearly 100,000 homes.
Located on Stonehouse Point in Trenton Harbour. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds open, tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.