|Pictou Harbor Range Front, NS|
Description: In his 1833 book British America, John McGregor gives the following description of Pictou:
The town, and whole district of Pictou, are decidedly Scottish. In the streets, within the houses, in the shops, on board the vessels, and along the roads, we hear little but Gaeli and broad Scotch. The Highland dress, the bagpipe, and Scottish music, are also more general in this par of the province than probably in any part of the country; while the red gowns of the students, which we observe waving here and there like streamers, bring the colleges of Aberdeen and Glasgow, with their associations, into recollection.
Due to the Highland Clearances, the forced displacement of tenants to make way for sheep farming, Pictou received an influx of Scottish immigrants starting in 1773 that lead to the town being known as the “Birthplace of New Scotland.” The first Scottish immigrants arrived aboard the Hector, which landed at Pictou on September 15, 1773 with thirty-three families and twenty-five single men aboard. A replica of the Hector was built locally and launched with great fanfare at Pictou on September 17, 2000. Visitors to Pictou can step aboard the vessel docked at Hector Heritage Quay and learn more about the difficult transatlantic voyage endured by the Sottish Immigrants.
The original Pictou Habour Range Lights were erected on the farm of Alexander Fraser in 1889 at a cost of $159.22, and Alexander Fraser was hired to be their first keeper for $120 each year. The range lights were also known as the Fraser’s Farm Range as evidenced by an 1891 sailing guide for Nova Scotia that told mariners entering Pictou Harbour to keep the Pictou Bar Light in line with the light on the custom house, until reaching the alignment of the Fraser’s Farm Range on the north side of the entrance.
In 1896, the range lights were upgraded as described in the Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for that year.
It was decided to replace the unsatisfactory mast lights at Fraser’s Farm, entrance to Pictou Harbour, by more powerful lights shown from enclosed towers, and plans and specifications were prepared and tenders invited for the work. Only one tender was received amounting to $826. On the recommendation of the Chief Engineer this tender was not accepted, but the two buildings were erected under the superintendence of Mr. John Chisholm, foreman of works for the Agency, who purchased materials locally and employed local labour. The total cost of the two towers was $660.22.
David Lowden was appointed the first keeper of the newly completed range lights on July 12, 1897 at an annual salary of $150. The two towers were relocated to their current location in 1909 by James Arbuckle of Pictou for $816.
The range lights were electrified in 1925, and the red vertical daymarks were added to the white wooden towers in 1986.
Keepers: John Dicks ( - 1926), David Lowden (1926 – 1929), John Lee Graham (1929 – 1943), Morris Wilfred Graham (1943 – 1965
Located on the north side of the entrance to Pictou Harbour. The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is owned by the Canadian Coast Guard. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.