|Wallace Harbour Range Rear, NS|
Description: The Annual Report of the Department of Marine and Fisheries for 1904 contains the following paragraphs on the Wallace Harbour Range Lights that were erected that year on MacFarlane Point.
Two range lights established on Macfarlane point, in Wallace harbour, on the south side of the Strait of Northumberland, were put into operation on the 20th October, 1904.The first keeper of the range lights was George Boyle, who received his appointment on May 24, 1905 and earned $150 per year.
Forty one people signed a petition in 1986 requesting that foliage be cleared to make the Wallace Harbour Rear Range Light more visible as several vessels had run aground the previous year. The Coast Guard tried to clear the offending trees and brush, but the owner of the property on which the vegetation stood was uncooperative. Rather than enter into litigation, the Coast Guard converted the front range light into a sector light in 1990. The tower’s square lantern room was removed and replaced with a rectangular lantern to house the new light. At the same time, the marking on the seaward face of the white tower was changed from a vertical red stripe to two horizontal red stripes. Later, the tower was changed to have just one red horizontal band.
In March of 1904, the rear range tower was sold to Graham Long, who cut the tower into three pieces and relocated the sections to Malagash Point, where the tower was reassembled and converted into a summer vacation home.
Keepers: Robert Langille ( - 1939), Noble Jamieson (1940 – 1958).
Located on Malagash Point, 18.4 km (11.5 miles) east of Wallace. The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
The lighthouse is privately owned. Grounds/tower closed.
Pictures on this page copyright Kraig Anderson, used by permission.