The narrow point of land on which the lighthouse stood was often subjected to erosion and flooding. A stone revetment was built along the bank in 1878, and various measures had to be taken every few years to protect the point from erosion.
The gallery deck atop the tower was rebuilt in 1880 so that a larger lantern could be used along with a more powerful optic. Around 1960, a new tower with an enclosed upper portion and skeletal lower sections was built on the point, and the old Pugwash Lighthouse was sold to the Mundle family, who moved the structure to their nearby farm.
Frank Millard, the last keeper of the light, served from 1939 to 1959, at which time Reginald Allen was hired to serve as a caretaker of the light at an annual salary of $150.
Cyrus Eaton was born in Pugwash, attended McMaster in Toronto, and then went to work for John D. Rockefeller, before branching out on his own and making a sizeable fortune in industries related to automobile manufacturing. In 1929, Eaton returned to Pugwash and contributed money to rebuild the core of the village, construct a seawall, and create a community park. Following World War II, Bertrand Russell and Albert Einstein, joined by several scientists, published the Russell-Einstein Manifest that championed nuclear disarmament. These intellectual were seeking funding to hold a conference on this issue in a location free from government influence, when Cyrus Eaton agreed to finance the gathering if they agreed to hold it at his home in Pugwash. The attendees christened their first meeting held in July of 1957 the Pugwash Conference, and the organization continues to meet to this day as Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs. The group was co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize in 1995.
In 2017, the lantern room formerly atop the old Pugwash Lighthouse was sitting on the ground nearby, and it was apparent that the top of the tower had suffered extensive damage.
Visitors to Pugwash today can view the Thinker’s Lodge, where the first Pugwash Conference was held. The town is also known for its Gaelic heritage, which is clearly visible in the bilingual street signs.
Keepers: Murdoch McLeod ( – 1912), Charles J. Chapman (1912 – 1959), Frank Allerson Millard (1939 – 1959).